I'm starting my new job at Mozilla as a contractor. The last time I was an independent contractor was eight years ago, in Canada. I've got some decent advice from web sites like FreelanceSwitch and Seattle's Poplar, but I'd like to know if anyone here has consulting experience and can answer some questions:
- How do you track time and expenses, and send invoices? What do you consider billable vs. non-billable?
- I know health insurance is important, but do you have dental insurance or any other personal insurance?
- Do you have a separate bank account for your contracting business?
- Fellow Washingtonians, what business licenses and taxes do you file, aside from federal income and self-employment tax?
- Do you have a lawyer or accountant? If so, can you recommend one in the Seattle area?
- Anything else I might not have thought of?